Monday, September 23, 2024

Ryan Thomas Smelle / "Sad Song"

 
The Skinny Review:
Canadian musician Ryan Thomas Smelle has recently release his new album, Goodbye Polar Bear. Along with the album, he has re-released "Sad Song" as the focus single. "Sad Song" is melancholy and emotional, as the title suggests - with lyrical and vocal depth, Smelle takes listeners along on his journey through grief.


In Their Own Words:
“Every once in awhile I sift through some old recording ideas for inspiration and stumbled across a file titled ‘Sad Song’. To my surprise, it was a complete song and not just a snippet. I was in the midst of grief over the passing of my daughter and have no recollection of creating it. I immediately wanted to add to my upcoming album.

The album in general has a raw edge to it and this song takes the cake. I played through the song in several takes without stopping and layered them on top of themselves. You will notice that the guitar seems to increase in frequency and intensity ever so slightly throughout the song and this adds to the emotional swell. I added subtle lead guitar and some poignant piano to emphasize the passing through grief into brighter future of hope. ”

Listen Here:
Spotify
Soundcloud
YouTube

Follow Here:
Website
Facebook
Instagram  

 


No comments: